R & D
Friendly team high quality scientific/industrial research and development
We will work with you to solve your Surface Engineering challenges to enhance performance, productivity and profitability:
- Prolong the service life of components and tools through reducing wear and friction
- Improve finished product quality
- Enhance the corrosion resistance
- Enhance the decorative finish of your product
- Applications development
- New coatings development
- New process development
- R&D projects on a wide range of timescales
- Experienced in project management and leadership
Wallwork Cambridge's friendly and talented team of seven highly qualified and experienced R&D Engineers and Scientists carry out high quality research and development at the leading edge of science often resulting in publications in the scientific literature, patents and of course new products for our customers. R&D staff present scientific papers at conferences worldwide.
List of publications
To match coatings to the particular demands of specific applications.
We develop new coatings and surface treatments from conception through to production.
Collaborative R&D projects carried out working closely with customers to achieve their goals.
New coatings development
Ensures Wallwork Cambridge remains at the leading edge of Surface Engineering with state of the art coatings to meet our customers' needs.
New process development
New coatings often call for new processes, sometimes requiring equipment modifications or new equipment builds. Working closely with our Engineering/machine build department and Universities from around the world we have all the skills and experience we need to come up with the solution on an industrial scale.
R&D projects on a wide range of timescales
- Short term R&D projects to deal with current issues, customer requests and enquiries.
- Future market opportunities requiring long term R&D projects.
Wallwork Cambridge customers come from all types of industry; from food to offshore, automotive, aerospace, general manufacturing, biomedical, pharmaceutical and many more. We're ready and able to discuss and resolve problems with scientists and engineers from any and all industries.
Experienced in project management and leadership
Good track record in leading the writing of successful project proposals winning grant funding and leading multi-partner collaborative R&D projects.
Wallwork Cambridge manages research projects with industrial companies and research establishments/universities in many countries, often co-funded by UK or EU government and industry.
List of collaborative grant funded projects past and present
Wallwork Cambridge's R & D recent publications list
A. Scerri, J. Buhagiar, S. Banfield, J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, J. Housden, A. Leyland, A. Matthews, G. Cassar. “Corrosion behaviour of triode plasma diffusion treated and PVD TiN-coated Ti–6Al–4V in acidified aqueous chloride environments”. Surface and Coatings Technology 280 (2015) 185-193. 2015Corrosion behaviour of triode plasma diffusion treated and PVD.pdf
J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, S. Wu, I. Gotman, J. Housden, E.Y. Gutmanas. “Duplex coatings with enhanced adhesion to Ti alloy substrate prepared by powder immersion nitriding and TiN/Ti multilayer deposition”. Materials Letters 157 (2015) 45-49. 2015Duplex coatings with enhanced adhesion to Ti alloy substrate prepared by powder immersion nitriding and TiN-Ti multilayer deposition.pdf
Danielle de Villiers, Alison Traynor, Simon N. Collins, Sarah Banfield, Jonathan Housden, Julia C. Shelton. “Chromium nitride coating for large diameter metal-on-polyethylene hip bearings under extreme adverse hip simulator conditions”. Wear 328-329 (2015) 363-368. 2015Chromium nitride coating for large diameter metal-on-polyethylene hip bearings under extreme adverse hip simulator conditions.pdf
T. Bonello, J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, J. Housden, E.Y. Gutmanas, I. Gotman, A. Matthews, A. Leyland, G. Cassar. “Evaluating the effects of PIRAC nitrogen-diffusion treatments on the mechanical performance of Ti–6Al–4V alloy”. Materials Science and Engineering A 619 (2014) 300-311. 2014Evaluating the effects of PIRAC nitrogen-diffusion treatments.pdf.
J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, S. Banfield, J. Housden, C. Olivero, P. Chapon. “On the response of Ti–6Al–4V and Ti–6Al–7Nb alloys to a Nitron-100 treatment”. Surface and Coatings Technology 260 (2014) 335-346. 2014On the response of Ti–6Al–4V and Ti–6Al–7Nb alloys to a Nitron-100 treatment.pdf.
Michelle C.S. Duarte, Cristina Godoy, J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson. “Analysis of sliding wear tests of plasma processed AISI 316L steel”. Surface and Coatings Technology 260 (2014) 316-325 2014Analysis of sliding wear tests of plasma processed AISI 316L steel.pdf.
Ana P.A. Manfridini, Cristina Godoy, J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, Marcos V. Auad. “Surface hardening of IF steel by plasma nitriding: Effect of a shot peening pre-treatment”. Surface and Coatings Technology 260 (2014) 168-178. 2014Surface hardening of IF steel by plasma nitriding- Effect of a shot peening pre-treatment.pdf.
Y. Chen, X. Nie, A. Leyland, J. Housden, A. Matthews. “Substrate and bonding layer effects on performance of DLC and TiN biomedical coatings in Hank's solution under cyclic impact-sliding loads”. Surface and Coatings Technology 237 (2013) 219-229. 2013Substrate and bonding layer effects on performance of DLC and TiN biomedical coatings in Hank's solution under cyclic impact–sliding loads.pdf
A.Traynor, A Kinbrum, J. Housden, S. Collins. “Fretting and Corrosion of Tapered Head-Neck Junctions of Modular Hip Components”. Orthopaedic Proceedings, (2013) vol.95-B no. SUPP 34 270. Print ISSN: 135-992X, Online ISSN: 2049-4416.
J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, S. Banfield, J. Eichler, A. Leyland, A. Matthews, J. Housden. “An investigation into the tribological performance of Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD) coatings on high thermal conductivity Cu-alloy substrates and the effect of an intermediate electroless Ni-P layer prior to PVD treatment”. Thin Solid Films 520 (2012) 2922-2931. 2012An investigation into the tribological performance of PVD coatings ....pdf
G. Cassar, J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, S. Banfield, J. Housden, A. Matthews, A. Leyland. “Surface modification of Ti-6Al-4V alloys using triode plasma oxidation treatments”. Surface and Coatings Technology 206 (2012) 4553-4561. 2012Surface modification of Ti-6Al-4V alloys using triode plasma oxidation treatments.pdf
G. Cassar, S. Banfield, J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, J. Housden, A. Matthews, A. Leyland. “Impact wear resistance of plasma diffusion treated and duplex treated/PVD-coated Ti-6Al-4V alloy. Surface and Coatings Technology 206 (2012) 2645-2654.2012Impact wear resistance of plasma diffusion treated and ....pdf
G. Cassar, S. Banfield, J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, J. Housden, A. Matthews, A. Leyland. “Micro-abrasion wear testing of triode plasma diffusion and duplex treated Ti-6Al-4V alloy”. Wear 274-275 (2012) 377-387. 2012Micro-abrasion wear testing of triode plasma diffusion ....pdf
F. Lu, M. Royle, F.V. Lali, A.J. Hart, S. Collins, J. Housden, J.C. Shelton, “Simple isolation method for the bulk isolation of wear particles from metal on metal bearing surfaces generated in a hip simulator test”. J Mater Sci: Mater Med. 23 (2012) 891-901.2012Lu et al 2012.pdf
PRIOR TO 2012
- G. Cassar, J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, S. Banfield, J. Housden, M. Fenech, A. Matthews, A. Leyland. "Evaluating the effects of plasma diffusion processing and duplex diffusion/PVD-coating on the fatigue performance of Ti6Al4V alloy". International Journal of Fatigue 33 (2011) 1313-1323.
- G. Cassar, J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, S. Banfield, J. Housden, A. Matthews, A. Leyland. "A Study of the reciprocating-sliding wear performance of plasma surface treated titanium alloy". Wear 269 (2010) 60-70.
- L. Wang, D.O. Northwood, X. Nie, J. Housden, E. Spain, A. Leyland and A. Matthews. "Corrosion properties and contact resistance of TiN, TiAlN and CrN PVD coatings in simulated proton exchange membrane fuel cell environments". Journal of Power Sources 195 (2010) 3814-3821.
- A. de Frutos, M.A. Arenas, G.G. Fuentes, R.J. Rodrguez, R. Martnez, J.C. Avelar-Batista and J.J. de Damborenea. "Tribocorrosion behaviour of duplex surface treated AISI 304 stainless steel". Surface and Coatings Technology 204 (2010) 1623-1630.
- J.C. Avelar-Batista Wilson, S. Banfield, G. Cassar, A. Leyland, A. Matthews, P. Smith, B. Karadia, N. Vaghela, J. Housden. "Enabling lightweight, high load aero-bearings". In: CEAS 2009 European Air and Space Conference, Manchester, United Kingdom, 26-29/10/2011. CD-ROM - Proceedings of CEAS 2009 European Air and Space Conference, 2009, pp.1-22.
- C. Godoy, R.D. Mancosu, R.R. Machado, P.J. Modenesi, J.C. Avelar-Batista. "Which hardness (nano or macrohardness) should be evaluated in cavitation? Tribology International 42 (2009)1021-1028.
- L. Wang, X. Nie, J. Housden, E. Spain, J.C. Jiang, E.I. Meletis, A. Leyland and A. Matthews."Material transfer phenomena and failure mechanisms of a nanostructured CrAlN coating in laboratory wear tests and an industrial punch tool application".Surface and Coatings Technology 203 (2008) 816-821.
- J.C. Avelar-Batista, E. Spain, G.G. Fuentes, A. Sola, R. Rodriguez and J. Housden. "Triode plasma nitriding and PVD coating: A successful pre-treatment combination to improve the wear resistance of DLC coatings on Ti6Al4V alloy". Surface and Coatings Technology 201 (2006) 4335-4340.
- J.C. Avelar-Batista, E. Spain, M. Letch, J. Housden and R. Beechey. "Improvements on the wear resistance of high thermal conductivity Cu alloys using an electroless Ni-P coating prior to PVD deposition". Surface and Coatings Technology 201 (2006) 4052-4057.
- A. Conde, C. Navas, A.B. Cristbal, J. Housden and J. de Damborenea. "Characterisation of corrosion and wear behaviour of nanoscaled e-beam PVD CrN coatings". Surface and Coatings Technology 201 (2006) 2690-2695.
- G.G. Fuentes, M.J. Das de Cerio, R. Rodriguez, J.C. Avelar-Batista, E. Spain, J. Housden and Y. Qin. "Investigation on the sliding of aluminium thin foils against PVD-coated carbide forming-tools during micro-forming." Journal of Materials Processing Technology 177 (2006) 644-648.
- Godoy, R.D. Mancosu, M.M. Lima, D. Brando, J. Housden and J.C. Avelar-Batista. "Influence of plasma nitriding and PAPVD Cr1-xNxcoating on the cavitation erosion resistance of an AISI 1045 steel". Surface and Coatings Technology 200 (2006) 5370-5378.
- J.C. Avelar-Batista, E. Spain, J. Housden, A. Matthews and G.G. Fuentes. "Plasma nitriding of Ti6Al4V alloy and AISI M2 steel substrates using D.C. glow discharges under a triode configuration". Surface and Coatings Technology 200 (2005) 1954-1961.
- J.C. Avelar-Batista, E. Spain, J. Housden, G.G. Fuentes, R. Rodriguez, F. Montal, L.J. Carreras and T.J. Tate. "Effect of coating thickness and deposition methods on the stripping rate of Cr-N coatings". Surface and Coatings Technology 200 (2005) 1842-1848.
- E. Spain, J.C. Avelar-Batista, M. Letch, J. Housden and B. Lerga. "Characterisation and applications of Cr-Al-N coatings". Surface and Coatings Technology 200 (2005) 1507-1513.
- J.C. Avelar-Batista, E. Spain, J. Housden, G.G. Fuentes, R. Rebol, R. Rodriguez, F. Montal, L.J. Carreras and T.J. Tate. "Characterisation of pristine and recoated electron beam evaporation plasma-assisted physical vapour deposition Cr-N coatings on AISI M2 steel and WC-Co substrates". Thin Solid Films 491 (2005) 177-183.
- A.B. Cristbal, A. Conde, J. Housden, T.J. Tate, R. Rodrguez, F. Montala and J. de Damborenea. "Electrochemical stripping of hard ceramic chromium nitride coatings". Thin Solid Films 484 (2005) 238-244.
- G.G. Fuentes, R. Rodriguez, J.C. Avelar-Batista, J. Housden, F. Montal, L.J. Carreras, A.B. Cristbal, J.J. Damborenea and T.J Tate. "Recent advances in the chromium nitride PVD process for forming and machining surface protection". Journal of Materials Processing Technology 167 (2005) 415-421.
- R. Rebol, A. Martinez, R. Rodriguez, G.G. Fuentes, E. Spain, N. Watson, J.C. Avelar-Batista, J. Housden, F. Montal, L.J. Carreras and T.J. Tate. "Microstructural and tribological investigations of CrN -coated, wet-stripped and recoated functional substrates used for cutting and forming tools". Thin Solid Films 469-470 (2004) 466-471.
- M. Bin-Sudin, A. Leyland, A.S. James, A. Matthews, J. Housden, B. Garside. "Substrate surface finish effects in duplex coatings of PAPVD TiN and CrN with electroless nickel-phosphorus interlayers". Surface and Coatings Technology 81 (1996) 215-224.
- A. Wilson, A. Matthews, J. Housden, R. Turner and B. Garside. "A comparison of the wear and fatigue properties of plasma-assisted physical vapour deposition TiN, CrN and duplex coatings on Ti-6Al-4V". Surface and Coatings Technology 62 (1993) 600-607.
- A. Leyland, M. Bin-Sudin, A.S. James, M.R. Kalantary, P.B. Wells, A. Matthews, J. Housden, B. Garside. "TiN and CrN PVD coatings on electroless nickel-coated steel substrates". Surface and Coatings Technology 60 (1993) 474-479.
|Patent Schedule for Wallwork Cambridge Limited|
|Our Ref||Short Title||Country||Publication No||Status|
|330.00/T||TITANIUM NITRIDING PROCESS||United Kingdom||abandoned|
|809.05/T||PVD-Ag Biomedical Coatings||Australia||Pending|
|809.03/T||PVD-Ag Biomedical Coatings||Europe||2009/095705||Pending|
|809.00/T||PVD-Ag Biomedical Coatings||United Kingdom||
|809.04/T||PVD-Ag Biomedical Coatings||Japan||510725/2011||Pending|
|809.01/T||PVD-Ag Biomedical Coatings||USA||2009/0198343||Granted|
|809.02/T||PVD-Ag Biomedical Coatings||PCT||2009/095705||Pending Matured|
|810.03/T||Triode Plasma Oxidation||Europe||
|810.01/T||Triode Plasma Oxidation||USA||2009/0236014||Pending|
|810.02/T||Triode Plasma Oxidation||PCT||WO 2009/115830||Pending Matured|
List of collaborative grant funded projects past and present
** Dr J. Housden project Leader.
1988-91: Brite RI.1B.0151C(H) (EU) Duplex coatings and plasma nitride on Titanium alloys.
1989-93: EuramMA1E 0079, (EU) Ion implantation of Ti alloys for surgical prostheses.
1988-91: BP + Hull University Development and characterisation of Multilayer coatings.
1989-92: IAC Harwell (DTI) - Ion assisted coatings including Diamond-Like-Carbon.
1994-96: CRAFT Project No. CR-1414-91 (EU) Coatings for Cold Forming.
1996-99: Innovation Project IN 10141D (EU) Trans-sectorial and Trans-Regional Implementation of Surface Engineering in European Industry.
1997: INFO2000 STM 5010 "SURFA" (EU) Multimedia Information service on Advanced Surface Engineering.
1996-99:** initiative "DEBCOAT" project. (DTI) Development of Electron Beam PVD coatings with improved composition control.
2000-01: CRAFT Project TOMAC BRST-CT98-5378 (EU) Cold Forming and Blanking Tools Manufacture for Optimal Coatings Performance.
2000-07: EUREKA E! 2307 "FUSECOAT" (DTI) A novel system for high-rate ultra hard coatings.
2001-04: GROWTH G1RD-CT-2000-00336 "COMING DRY" (EU) Organic matrix composites and Inconel alloys: Improvements in their machining under low coolant flows and dry conditions.
2003-08: EUREKA E! 2846 "AIMTECH" (DTI) Advanced Injection Moulding Technology.
2003-06:** EUREKA E! 2949 "CREST" (DTI) Coatings removal for environmental surface technology.
2005-09** EUREKA E! 3499 "DUBIOP (DTI) Duplex process for biocompatible prostheses.
2006-09:** Technology Programme, GCR&D "LIB-TEC" (DTI) Enabling lightweight high-load aero bearings.
2008-11** Technology Programme, GCR&D "SMART-HIP" (TSB) - Smart bioactive
nanocomposite coatings for enhanced hip prostheses..
2009-12** Technology Programme, GCR&D "SUSCOAT" - Coating Substitution for Reduced Environmental Impact.
2010-13 Matera+ "NEET" (EC/TSB) - Novel duplex processes to enhance compressor blade life and retain engine efficiency.
2011-2014 Technology Programme, CR&D "BERTI" - Biomedical implant with Exceptional Resistance to Tribo-bio-corrosion and with Inherent antimicrobial properties
2011-2014 EU Marie Curie Progamme, "ENTICE"