As a leading company specialising in the coating and heat treatment of steel & non ferrous parts for the Aerospace, Medical and Engineering industries, a vacancy has arisen at our Cambridge site for a Multi-skilled Engineer within our Machine Build division. Most of the equipment in our coatings facility in Cambridge has been designed and manufactured in house, and we also supply equipment to a wide range of industries and Universities around the world.
With increasing demand for the advanced technology we produce, this is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Multi-skilled Engineer to join our specialist team carrying out assembly and detailed fitting of vacuum based PVD coating and plasma reaction equipment. The position will also involve installation, service and maintenance of equipment within our customer’s sites around the country, therefore the successful candidate will be expected to spend some time away from home for short periods as and when the role requires it.
The ideal candidate will should be able to demonstrate the following:
- A strong Multi-Skilled engineering background, experienced and qualified in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.
- Understanding assembly and fitting of a wide range of mechanical elements of machines.
- The ability to deal with rectification work and engineering change as appropriate.
- Complete basic machining and fabrication of parts as necessary.
- Good communication skills to liaise with in-house personnel as required, resolving design and build issues.
Expected duties to be carried out on site:
- Competently read engineering assembly drawings.
- Carry out assembly and fitting of new equipment and components based on engineering drawings.
- Use the lathe and milling machines to carry out required modifications.
- Take part in start up, maintenance and servicing of machines during testing.
- Maintain production build documentation and complete forms as required by in-house procedures.
- Work with the Project Manager and the other team members to ensure all work is carried out to agreed timescales.
- Monitor stock levels and re-order as required.
Expected duties to be carried out off-site:
- Installation, testing & commissioning of equipment at customers' sites in the UK.
- Training customers in operation, maintenance and safety aspects.
- Regular routine service of machines and associated equipment.
- Diagnose and rectify machine problems and breakdowns.
- Follow predefined procedures to ensure continued safe/efficient operation of all equipment.
- Ensure designated tasks are completed within the scheduled time.
- Ensure Job Management system is up to date with accurate information.
- Provide detailed written summaries of the work carried out or of any further work required.
- Promote sales of machines & maintenance contracts
- Ideally qualified to a recognised professional qualification such as HNC/HND in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering;
- Over 3 years Experience within a Machine Build or Service Engineering Position
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings & schematics (mechanical, electrical, vacuum, fluid and pneumatics);
- Experience with general machining (lathes/milling).
- Good knowledge of mechanical principles;
- Able to work alone and as a team when under pressure;
- Ability to use lifting equipment to install heavy equipment.
- Competent use of PC equipment, Windows & Office applications;
- Experienced with AC & DC control circuits (LV);
- Practical experience of fault finding on electrical and pneumatic systems;
- Ensure all work is carried out with complete regard to current health, safety and environmental regulations;
- Good communication skills, liaising with clients internal or external;
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated.
- Smart and professional presentation.
Other skills which would be a great advantage for this position:
- Understanding of PVD, RF & Plasma technology, Vacuum technology, Thermal equipment, Calibration of equipment signals.
- Fitting pneumatics and Swagelok stainless steel pipework.
- Experience with High Vacuum Systems.
- Experience of building special purpose machinery from the ground up.
- Electrical fitting and wiring.
- Tig Welding.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Experience of producing Risk Assessments/Method Statements.
- The ability to analyse faults on PLC control systems.
The company offers:
Contributory 5%/5% company pension scheme with life assurance,
Company Health Scheme,
Profit related pay scheme,
24 days holiday per year, plus Bank Holidays,
The opportunity for continuous improvement and training.
Please apply with CV using Cambridge application form (available Top right of this page) to Mike Jarvis
Salary: According to experience
For more information contact Mike Jarvis on 0161 7979111 or email@example.com